Thursday, March 3, 2016

Pop Culture

    Hip Hop raised me. I am a child of the late 90's who grew under the musical influence of artists such as Whitney Houston, Brittany Spears, Christina Aguilera, and Jay- Z. It is a part of up- bring. Hip Hop is my culture. It posses its own dance style, feeling, and fashion. The music is a language of its own. When I need a pick- me- up, I can rely on the music like an old friend. Catchy lyrics, contagious beats, and good vibes flow through my mind, transporting me to another place. The experience is almost spiritual; it resonates within my core and reminds me of my roots. Hip Hop built me.
   I have discovered myself through self- expression. Through dance and motion I can utter what cannot describe in words. By belting out song lyrics, I relate to others. Countless of my most fond childhood memories include Hip- Hop sing-a-longs. Friendly collaborations made bonds; the music brought unity. Rich or poor, black or white, boy or girl, everyone belongs to the same culture. We understand each other because we speak the same language.
    The music has less to do with the violence and drug use and popularity, but more to do with how it feels to portray society we live in. Think of it as a lens through which another world opens up. Sharing in the experiences of others is one of the aspects that brings the unity.
   Author and musician James McBride discusses the aversion he first had towards hip- hop music. As the cultural movement began in the early 1980's, its influence became harder and harder to ignore. McBride realized the culture of "dance, graffiti, and dance" was something he could not escape. "Its structure is unique, complex, and at times bewildering" (para. 8). The author expresses the ignorance that blinded him. On the surface, hip- hop seems to embody materialism. Behind the lyrics, a new world is exposed.
     Hip- hop hold roots deep within us; the music is all around. Experience the culture. It has evolved throughout the ages, shaping each new generation. Never has a movement been so strong, and I encourage you to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment