Friday, March 4, 2016

My Zombie, My Social Media

    The way I see it, we all have our crosses to bear, and zombies to escape. In his essay My Zombie, Myself, Chuck Klosterman draws a parallel between the principles of zombie slaying and life itself. Klosterman states, "The zombies you kill today will merely be replaced by the zombies of tomorrow" (para. 19). These attacks by the undead never stop coming; no matter how hard you try a new army will arise to devour you. Similarly, the battles we face in life will always hit consistently.
    My zombie happens to be social media. It is like kryptonite glued to my finger tips. The habit to check my accounts has become so habitual I completely unaware of my actions as if brainwashed. My obsession takes hold of me at all hours of the day, from the moment I first wake up, to the second  I fall asleep. It viciously intrudes upon my conversations, interrupts my school work, and damages my self- esteem.
    Scrolling past pictures on sites such as tumblr, instagram, and twitter makes me feel weak. Jealousy sets in, and I get that vacant feeling. A constant desire for the looks and possessions of others deepen the void I feel obligated to fill. How? I have no clue. Materialist items don't help. Buying all the clothing, shoes, bags, and makeup the money can buy will not help. Money truly does not buy happiness.
     Perhaps it is not about having it all, but rather never being content with what I have. Ungratefulness does not sit well with me. In fact, it plagues me. I know that when I check my social media, I am really thinking of how much better life would be if I were just prettier, skinnier, taller, and richer. It will never be enough though. No matter how hard I try, my life will never improve unless I face my zombie.
     The ultimate strategy is to fight my zombie with an attitude of gratitude. If I continue to compare myself to others, I will never be adequate. By loving myself, my family, my intelligence, and other abstract qualities I can rise above the attacks. Although they will never cease to exist, I can learn to live with them nagging at my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment