Friday, November 13, 2015

I Believe

One of my biggest pet peeves have always been hypocrisy. In order to avoid becoming a hypocrite, I am very cautious of my words not contradicting my actions. I strive to actively practice my convictions. Therefore, I believe in leading by example.
My parents have been divorced for as long as I can remember. Their feigned relationship and individual dysfunctions caused me to question the idea of morals or if such principles even existed. The guidance they gave me felt artificial as their words of advice were negated by acts of contradiction.
My dad always taught me to stick up for myself, while my mom believed in being a peacemaker. Actions speak louder than words, however. My mother is argumentative and quick to pick a fight. My father is highly submissive and shies away from conflict. Just as any child, I wanted to believe the best in my parents. Because of my innocence, I had not been able to recognize the hypocrisy I was subject to. 
My hectic life was forever changed when my younger sister was born. I was able to the best big sister I could be by acting as a steady role model. I did this by leading by example. Through my actions, I worked to instill principles of sincerity, peace, and confidence within her. I know now that I can provide her with the guidance I never had. 

I believe in the importance of being a good role model. I know my words posses the most power when I act in accordance with them. A moral code is tainted by contradictory thoughts and actions, therefore, we must practice what we preach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment