Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Home

   A typical struggle of the human condition is finding one's identity. We long to find a place to call home in order to establish a sense of security. It is easy to make biased assumptions of others state of being. The feeling of loneliness is not confined to immigrants, orphans, and social misfits; we make biased judgements based on stereotypes.
    I, a white female, come from a household of two well to- do parents-- both doctors. My one sibling is my companion and best friend. From the outside looking in, my life must be perfect. I have a roof over my head, eat four meals a day, attend a private school and stay involved in events within the community of East Providence. What others cannot see is the crumbling relationship between my parents, my Type- A personality, and a sick sister. I am constantly moving from one household to another-- my parents have been divorced for over 10 years. I do well socially and academically, but good is never good enough. My sister is so lively and vibrant, but struggles with Juvenile diabetes. Sometimes, I feel as though I live in a life that I don't belong.
     Life can feel pretty surreal, and it's easy to lose touch with reality when you're in the dark. We are faced with disease and depression and stress and other misfortunes. Without proper shelter, it is easy to feel vulnerable in a battle we must fight on our own. So when looking upon a house, you may see a strong foundation with built- up walls, but remember to consider what lies within.

No comments:

Post a Comment